Mobile Phone Boycott



I'm posting to let you all know that I'm going to be giving my mobile phone a break. Feel free to reach me at my current landline or use the "Contact Shaun" page at my website www.shaunblair.com.

Now, for my soapbox... You all know I don't usually do this but it's important that the people I care about have this information so if you feel so inclined, please continue reading to the end.

Some of you know about the cluster of lumps beside my right ear that I believe are the result of 15+ years of heavy mobile phone usage. The good news is that since I've been using my phone less, most of these lumps have gone away following an intermittent series of what seemed like very painful ear infections. There are only 2 small lumps left where there were once over 10 under my skin. My hearing has also returned to normal after years of diminished hearing in my right ear.

This summer I made my second extended visit to a retreat center that does not permit any electronics in its healing areas. I met another guest there who was measuring EMF radiation with a Radio Frequency meter and he found it to be considerably lower than it is in major cities or near someone who is using a mobile phone. When I returned to using my phone, I noticed that after about 5 seconds of holding my phone and talking with it on "speaker", I felt a tingle and then a shooting pain go up my arm. It was enough to make me think more about the invisible danger.

All electronics emit some amount of Electro Magnetic Frequency (EMF) radiation but mobile phones, tablets and other devices on wifi bring high amounts of EMF radiation next to our bodies on a daily basis. Even using headsets can direct the radiation directly to our ear/brain area.

The EPA recommended in the 90's that EMFs be declared a Class B carcinogen but somehow the final report included no such declaration or recommended limits. Dr. David Carpenter, Dean at the School of Public Health for the State University of New York believes it is likely that up to 30% of all childhood cancers come from exposure to EMFs. Scientists with the California Department of Health Services wrote in 2002 that their "scientists are inclined to believe that EMFs can cause some degree of increased risk of childhood leukemia, adult brain cancer, Lou Gehrig's Disease, and miscarriage." Studies done in Australia reveal that over the last 10 years that cell phones have been popular, cases of brain tumors have increased by more than 60% in women, and by 50% in men.

I'm sharing all of this with you in hope that you will be inspired to also give your phones and tablets a rest. Here are some ideas that I use that you may choose to adopt:

  1. Use apps and kindle offline by putting the devices on airplane mode.
  2. Compose texts and e-mails offline and then turn the phone radio on briefly to transmit before turning it off again.
  3. Interact with friends and family with conversations and activities like making a meal together or acro sports.

Below is more information in case you would like to learn more or share with loved ones.

From emfcenter.com:
"Cell phones tend to cause the greatest exposures to RF/microwave radiation for most people, and especially for the brain. The trick is, how to shield the user from the phone's EMF signal, but yet allow that same EMF signal to reach the nearest cell tower? Practically speaking, this is difficult, and many advertised products are not very helpful. The safest choice is to severely limit and reduce the time spent on cell phones, especially for children. Even if the long distance minutes are "free," consider that an increased risk of brain tumor is not. Here are your choices, in descending order of effectiveness: (1) Don't use it. (2) Keep it off, and only use it for emergencies and very short calls. (3) Use it only on a speaker phone, don't hold it, put it down on something and back away. (4) Preferably use an "air tube" (stethoscope) type of hands-free kit, because typical hands-free kits allow the radiation to conduct up the metal wire to the ear."

Thanks for reading and please be sure to forward me your landline numbers :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why is “Youth Akro Skills" a great way to learn Life Skills?

Youth Akro Skills Program Teaches Life Skills with Fun and Fitness

JOY is intention enough. OR Manifestation 101